Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:56 am

Post subject: Adressable RGB led strips - and Iceled
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:34 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

I stumbled upon adressable RGB flexi strips while surfing the internet.
I can easily think of several cool ways to use this, mimicing UFO.
Would be very cool if this could someday be connected together through some software programming, or a very smal hardware solution. Adrian? Any thoughts on this?

Post subject: Re: Adressable RGB led strips - and Iceled
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi winger! There are loads of different sorts available but they're >all< awkward for using in vehicles. Building a UFO interface would be fairly simple but making the tape "bomb proof" to the same standards as UFO tubes would be the real challenge. And that includes the issue of waterproofing in addition to making them run off vehicle electrical supplies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:28 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

The flexi tape has been excellent on the bike. So I'd be willing to take a chance on this ;-)
Let me get this straight... You actually can think of ways to have UFO control this digital tape through something resembling a flexi driver? Awesome!!!!
I'd be willing to act as test rat LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:28 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

I've had to strip off flexi tape recently from the putside of a few vehicles fitted with it, mainly as it shorts, and gets hot, very hot.

Oldest had to be about 3 years, most last 8-12 months in permanent outdoor conditions. Not suitable and is a fire risk.

http://www.customice.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

As a general issue, any water finding its way to an electrical connection is going to do something nasty :shock: In the case of wet LED tape the DC supply voltage can cause copper to migrate from one current carrying track to another so creating a low-impedance path. This can result in an unofficial heating device.

The common tapes are only sealed on the component side (if at all!) so water can easily penetrate from the sticky-back side. This is why the only really suitable tape for full exposure to the elements is the type that is fully enclosed in a silicone jacket. Even with this type, a great deal of care has to be taken sealing any exposed ends with silicone sealant to keep the moisture out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

The tapes I used were not the cheapo ones either. but I agree the resin is the issue, there is also a point of ingress where the resin meets the, well it's not enamel so I suppose paint describes it best, that coats the copper track component side, the water works it's way in oxidising as it goes, and hey presto DRL = healamp heater :lol:

The resin also degrades very quickly, becomes stiff and brittle, splitting in places and allowing further water ingress.

http://www.customice.co.uk/