Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Tue May 21, 2019 5:48 pm

Post subject: PC Link Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:11 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

I'm not sure if this has been thought of yet or not. I've been reading about the PC link for some time now, and seen the debates about what interface to use. I don't know much about the inner workings of the Ice products, but I do know a fair bit about computers. Have you thought of the possibility of using WiFi (802.11b maybe)? I'm not sure, but it may be cheaper than a Bluetooth solution. Using WiFi would solve the range problems by alowing the end user to use a device (PC, Palm, PSP) that has the range that they're looking for.

Another idea I have is for you to release an SDK for your products so that anyone who knows how to program whatever device that they're using can develop their own interface to control their Ice from.

Just some ideas, go easy on me.

Post subject: Re: PC Link Ideas
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

ryuujin7619 \$m[1]:
Another idea I have is for you to release an SDK for your products so that anyone who knows how to program whatever device that they're using can develop their own interface to control their Ice from.

The WiFi idea is great, but there is one problem, you will need to be able to turn on the encryption so no one else can get on the controller and mess around with it.

The SDK I say to remain confidential and not to be passed out to anyone, that will cause the quality of these products to drop because others will start making controllers and then ICELED will have to drop prices to compete, with production cost as high as i believe they are, then ICE won't last long with dropping prices to compete. Once someone figures out the SDK then i bet they can also make their own light sources too. Keep the SDK confidential, we only need one company making ICE and as high quality as they can. Competition is great for lowering prices but it can seriously hurt quality too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:07 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Releasing the SDK doesn't mean that you release the inner workings of the UFO or ZEN... all it means is that you provide programmers with a common interface (APIs) that they can use to pass values to your device... Since the "link" interface would receive all that info and then pass it on to UFO, they would gain absolutely nothing in reverse engineering the code... They would still be missing the key piece of the puzzle... UFO

:)

Post subject: Re: PC Link Ideas
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:13 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

alienyoungjr \$m[1]:
The WiFi idea is great, but there is one problem, you will need to be able to turn on the encryption so no one else can get on the controller and mess around with it.

Not necessarily true. Every network device has it's own identification number. All you would really have to do is set up the UFO to only accept commands from certain network devices. Perhaps implement a protocol when you first connect with the UFO like this...

1. Controller ( PC, Palm, whatever ) sends a request to issue a command.
2. Device ( UFO, Zen ) sends request for authorization.
3. Controller sends the last four digits of the devices serial number encrypted using the first four as the hash.
4. Device encrypts it's serial number the same way and if it matches the message it just got, it records the Controller's SSID for future reference.

From then on, the device will only accept commands from controllers with SSIDs that match the ones that it has in it's list. Not completely hack proof, but your devices can only be programmed to respond to a given Controller if the serial number is handy, and who's gonna spend the time trying to mask an SSID for the sole purpose of making your car's lights do screwy things?

alienyoungjr \$m[1]:
The SDK I say to remain confidential and not to be passed out to anyone, that will cause the quality of these products to drop because others will start making controllers and then ICELED will have to drop prices to compete, with production cost as high as i believe they are, then ICE won't last long with dropping prices to compete. Once someone figures out the SDK then i bet they can also make their own light sources too. Keep the SDK confidential, we only need one company making ICE and as high quality as they can. Competition is great for lowering prices but it can seriously hurt quality too.

On the contrary, releasing an SDK can greatly enhance the quality of the programs that can be used to drive the UFO. It's the same as the open source concept. Linux is as great as it is because there are hundreds of thousands of people working on it daily to enhance it, make it more stable, and more user friendly. With an SDK, we will be able to implement our own features into the program, and port it onto and system we like. For instance, (on the off chance that there is an SDK released and the PC link is WiFi) I could sit down and write a program to allow me to control my UFO from my PSP. I get it stable and safe and all that other good stuff, so I release it to the rest of the world, and now everyone can control their own UFO from their own PSP. To further protect the company, there could be some creative licensing on the SDK to prevent it from being used in any commercial way.