FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:21 pm

Post subject: UV Led's
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:07 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Hi ICELED Team.

Is there any chance of a special order for any of your products to have UV LED's in them?

I like the product casing and connections, specifically I would like some trons with UV LED's.

Spydz.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I suppose replacing the three blue LEDs with UV ones might make some sort of sense, but replacing all nine LEDs in TRON leaves the question of what the microcontroller is doing in there! Unless controlled by a ZAP or ZEN, the colour change program would just ramp the LEDs in a fairly useless way. Is this what you had in mind?

The problem with swapping just the blues for UV is that the beam angles would almost certainly be different. OK if you've got ZEN programmed to serve-up UV on its own or otherwise produce red/green mixes....

... I have tried UV 'in the mix' before and it's no substitute for blue. As you probably know it's virtually invisible until it causes something to fluoresce (and the colour produced depends on the flouescent material).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

how bout adding white and UV leds into the trons, and only make them work when specified with a controller. Yeah yeah i know RGB can make white, but in my opinion it would be nicer to have a more pure color white, not an off white color. Or maybe just make special fixtures with these added in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:09 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

My idea was to have all nine UV led's, I know the processer would become redundant but I wanted to have the tron housing and connections to a UFO for pattern 0. Maybe pattern L would work, that would be a bonus.

It's to contrast all the colours that the RGB's show on my UFO tubes. It gives a nice deep purple glow with the added bonus of white flourescence.

Some white LED's in there is a good idea I hadn't thought of that.

You could use the white led's from the scanner to put in a tron, that would give us a directly viewable tron!

But I would't look directly at the UV LED's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:24 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Since most UV LEDs output a very minimal amount of light, for each cluster of three do two UV and one white LED. I'd like to see a tron built with 6 LEDs per cluster adding in the two UV and one white. Something like a Tron v2 sold for about the same or a little more than the Gem.

Cheers (1st post)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:33 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Not played with making things with leds since I was 11 and can't remember exactly how to do things. Can an led be wired upto a resistor then a normal wire, or does it have to use a circuit board with a resistor?

Reason being is that can get 50 UV led's and 50 resistors for pennies and not wanting to buy them to find out that I need a circuit board for each one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:18 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Nightfire \$m[1]:
Not played with making things with leds since I was 11 and can't remember exactly how to do things. Can an led be wired upto a resistor then a normal wire, or does it have to use a circuit board with a resistor?

Reason being is that can get 50 UV led's and 50 resistors for pennies and not wanting to buy them to find out that I need a circuit board for each one

So what exactly is a circuit board anyway? It's a series of wire traces put on a fiber board for mounting various electronics to it. The end result is a rigid form. Can the same thing be done without a circuit board? Yes and no. Yes it can be done, but it won't be nearly as rigid. Can any board be used? Sure! You can even use cardboard as long as you don't burn it when soldering. Heck, I've even done circuitry on a piece of paper or even without some sort of backing and using loose wires. The problem with using loose wires is you have a "spineless" form that can easily be damaged.

Something to keep in mind about UV, they aren't very bright. On an average the output is somewhere around 500mcd with a forward voltage of 3.3V. So, using a 1/2W resistor rated at 480ohms on the cathode lead, you should be able to hook one LED up to a 12V source (left a little room to spare for 14.1V). You could also wire four of them together in series with a 1/4W 80ohm resistor for 12V (with the 14.1 safety net). So if you want the average UV LEDs to equal one average white LED (about 10k mcd), you're looking at a total of 20 UV LEDs to one white. Of course it greatly depends on the LEDs used.

If you want to play with them, get about 10-20 of them with resistors. Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:26 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Well done sproket, and if anyone wants some UV LED's and blue and red you can have mine. I have a bag of them somewhere - I also have a huge box of resistors, I mean huge - from tiny to massive. Just pay the postage and you can have them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:29 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Dave, if you want to pm me the price of those, I'll send you a cheque for them. Just feel like doing something in my spare time and playing with these might just cure the boredom for a while :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

well have fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:49 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Hey speaking of UV does anyone know of UV engine paint or brake paint? I got some wild ideas but obviously can't do anything until about mid April so my mind is going crazy not having an outlet.

Mark 5:36 / Psalm 6:8-10 / Romans 8:12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:00 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

ahh there is some UV reactive calliper paints out there the only problem is they look really stupid during the day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:45 am 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

phosferesent (that has to be a word) paint....looks greenish in the day...sunlight charges it up...then it glows like a mofo at night.....only problem is that its rather pricey at the moment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:30 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

I'm looking for something blue cause I'm trying to keep a color scheme with my STi. Anyone wanna guess what color? ;o)

Mark 5:36 / Psalm 6:8-10 / Romans 8:12

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:38 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Hot pink? :D lol