Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:40 pm

Post subject: Radio controlled remote?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:35 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

The IR remote is great, but a radio control would be even cooler! Further distances, and less direct aim required. Currently, the way my receiver head is set up, I have to be next to my driver's side passenger door to get a good angle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This might be possible to do as an 'add-on'. The main restriction with the current IR setup is angle as you have mentioned. Range in line-of-sight is pretty amazing though... I've had 60' out of it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone see Top Gear last week? They were showing that if you put your R/C keyfob to the side of your head you actually increased the range! They've had scientists looking into it apparently, but haven't yet come up with an explanation! It's true tho - try it...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:59 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

sounds really cool... but please define: "keyfob"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:37 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

not sure what the FOB stands for (i remember reading it somewhere) but it's your "remote keyless entry" remote...

and yes it does work... i do that all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 5:55 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

That sounds quite interesting... has there controlled study done...

I mean a resonable explanation for real-life senarios is that by raising it to head level you're keeping it away from other electronics... watches, cell phones, beepers, PDA's, and although not hugely significant, it can effect range. as almost every electronic device in america states according to the FCC... (FCC Class A Notice This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
1. This device may not cause harmful interference. 2. This device must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.)

now i don't deny the presence of ambient brainwaves, but i have no ideal about their effect on electronic devices... although i know some people (at least according to our news reports) can shatter light bulbs at the thought... and I have had computer customers who just seem to have an extremely higher tendecy for blown hardware (motherboards and such)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:02 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Definition

fob

noun

a piece of leather or other material to which a group of keys is fastened, or a chain or piece of material used, especially in the past, to fasten a watch to a man's waistcoat:

a key fob
a fob watch

'Put your trust in God my boys - and keep your powder dry'
Oliver Cromwell

http://www.jubileefireworks.co.uk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:55 am 

Pyromaniac.........the human theasaurus :wink:

Ive got a customer on the contract side of the empire who actualy asked one of his customers to do this trick with a transmitter he supplied that wasnt working :!: needless to say he didnt get any more orders :twisted:

It might open your car door at a 100yards but it probably makes you sterile.

Definition of a yard for the Comprhensively challenged is a "a sensible unit of measurement pre dating Eurob*******"

If you teach a man to fish he will have food for life..................and pinch your fishing spot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:03 am 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

ICELEDMAN \$m[1]:
Definition of a yard for the Comprhensively challenged is a "a sensible unit of measurement pre dating Eurob*******"

i'll take that to mean me... becuase i'm always asking about your "english". Words like "ICE" and fob don't exist in our country...

you and all your vocabulary are soo inefficent, so much time spent learning words...

the people here have one word to replace everything.

pardon the spelling, but if you sound it out, it's pronounced

"Jawns"

-much more efficient than learning the 1,000+ words it can replace.

for example cell phone... is a "cell jawns"

and R/C remote for a car, is the "keyless entry jawns"

and there's the jawns to do (fill in the blank) when they don't know the name... they all just jesture with their hands and say "for the thing, with the thing... you know the jawns"

this goes for construction items, as i have heard it slung around in home repair shops, food, computers, speakers, clothing, jewery...

i learned of this all purpose, yet efficient word in the car stereo shop i have around here...

damn the 15 years of learning vocabulary and how to use it... the answer is all in one word... and my teachers said "pay attention, you'll need this in the future" - ha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:08 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Us "New Yawkas" don't use "jawns" ... must be a "Joisey" thing... :lol:

We're always in such a rush, we just leave out words.... a cell phone is just a "cell". A "remote control" is just a "remote"... and a "boot" is something we kick people with when they're down.... :lol:

(I'm hoping I don't start a "You don't talk right because..." thread.... O:) [-o< )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

GoldenRod \$m[1]:
... and a "boot" is something we kick people with when they're down....

Class :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:27 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

GoldenRod \$m[1]:
Us "New Yawkas" don't use "jawns" ... must be a "Joisey" thing... :lol:

We're always in such a rush, we just leave out words.... a cell phone is just a "cell". A "remote control" is just a "remote"... and a "boot" is something we kick people with when they're down.... :lol:

(I'm hoping I don't start a "You don't talk right because..." thread.... O:) [-o< )

you see... leaving words out.... more example of efficiency :twisted: :) :) :) :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:08 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

reading this brings back a bit of RAE theory,

when you stick anything that radiates RF energey close to the body, the body acts like a reflector, mainly due to the water content, where people say that rf energy can cause brain damaage, thats just the tip of the iceburg, RF energy can kill, how do u think a microwave oven works, its RF energy,,

bit of a true story:

A guy wors at a radar instalation when its cold at nights he used to sit infront of the horn,(used to send out radio waves for radar) as this made him warm, one really cold night and after a few beers to many, he sat infront of the horn again, but somebody didnt realise he was there, and turned up the power a bit, as the weather was effecting the radar,
Back to the guy sat infront of the horn, he was nice and warm and fell asleep, the following day they found him cooked to death, he was cooked like he hadbeen stuck in a microwave oven...

Sorry the post was a bit long, but i guess it willmake u think next time u stick your mobile near your head....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 3:47 am 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

Holy resurrected post batman!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:55 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Since it has been resurrected...

The story of radar cooking some guy is a wive's tale, but it's had its fair share of rounds in the halls of many a university EE department, military complex, or research facility. Granted, too much time in front of one will give you some nasty tumors in the long run, but you'd have a really sick feeling if it was strong enough to cook. It's a fun story, but nonetheless not true. Even the US army/navy/air force have some "incident reports" from years past that initially claim such accidents occured, but further investigation showed other issues were involved.

Now, on to why it works (and there's no need for studies to be made, as the effects are easily understood). It's not due to your body being a better reflector due to water content, either... if anything, water will tend to absorb a significant amount of radiation. Try watching satellite TV during a nasty rainstorm, some loss of signal due to reflection/scattering, some loss due to absorbtion.

Our body acts like one huge capacitor, which affects the center frequency and power at which any radiating element transmits. In fact, when designing a hendheld remote, you need to take the body's effects into account when figuring the antenna dimensions and transmit power. Until you remember this fact, you're going to be banging your head against the workbench trying to figure out why the remote works flawlessly when it's on the bench, but put it in your hand and... nothing. Same goes for vice versa... it seems to work great in your hand, but go to have the FCC (what's the European equivalent again?) test the item, and it falls flat on its face (all because they test it by itself sitting on a workbench).

Wrapping up a long diatribe... the keyfob remotes work better at times when placed next to you head as they can sometimes bring the transmitter back to the spec it has slowly wandered from, due to heat/cold, low battery, poor adjustment from the factory, etc. Don't forget, too, that many times the remote power has to be detuned to allow passing FCC rules and regs... in some ways, by placing it to your head and increasing the output power, you're breaking the law ;)