Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:24 am

Post subject: Program your own...
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 1:40 pm 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

Is it possible to program your own displays on the UFO?

Maybe have a unit that lets you tweak different things like speed and direction. You could maybe then download them to some type of storage (floppy, memory card, XD, smartmedia, etc) and use them for shows i.e. chuck the card in and it starts playing like a playlist you've designed.

Or, perhaps a better way... program it using software on a laptop and then download it via USB to the controller.

Probably way out there but people would be creating some pretty unique displays!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 2:27 pm 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

You can already change the speed and colours for any program u wish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:25 pm 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

well ok.. not speed and colour but the way the lights move is what I mean. Like the warp I think it is.. where the white light moves from the front to the back.

Or maybe just a software prog to make a playlist of settings to show off the UFO automatically. (kind of like the things you get on stereo systems when they're in demo mode).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 4:58 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

I was thinking of this type of thing... but more along the lines of upgrading the unit less in terms of editing programs, more in terms of a software update. (ie a whole new program is created/ a way to customize ufo or the individual tubes. control changes (if there is the 4ft tube on the side, and you add a 1ft tube, you can have it treat them as one big tube, continuing the display from one to the other, or if a 2ft has to replace a 3ft in the front, it will compress the information to the 2ft tube, instead of the patter "jumping" from the sides to the front...))

But i'm sure price is an issue in this, an addition of an I/O jack, the interfacing for this, and non-volatile memory... and UFO is pretty pricey as it is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:16 pm 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

Another cool thing would be a way to have scrolling text down the side of your car..

I'm pondering getting one of those LED writer things that sit on your back parcel shelf and allow you to type in whichever message you want. A classy one of them would be pretty cool.. not sure how you'd get LED glow into it thou..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:26 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

I've heard of lazer units proposed for this purpose... the ultimate in undebody. a lazer light show under the car!!! that'd be awesome... unfortunately, the technology to draw with lazers is soooo expensive, it's not at all worth it (we're talking 10,000 dollar range) and then you wouldn't be able to drive with the car due to the shock sensitive parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 5:30 pm 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

The ultimate in undercar lighting? certainly sounds like it. Sounds like more lighting equipment than a normal nightclub!

I've got an idea for the text display / LED display.. will do a sketch tonight and post it on the forum..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 7:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So you want a box you could fill with new patterns - created on your PC and then plug into UFO 'eh? Well, there is a serial contol input that could be used - but there is one slight problem....

UFO patterns aren't pre-defined or fixed' in any way, they are algorithms that are expressed in computer code. The results are mostly random. To create new ones would mean programminng them in computer code (like 'C') with knowledge of the underlying hardware etc. Too much hard work for most people.

However, if you didn't mind the show repeating after a while (maybe a very, very long while) there might be a real cute way of getting exactly what you... Hey - hey - I better Keep schtum!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:06 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Yah, the coding used for the current patterns is goig to be way over the average consumers head. It'd probably require a lot of money thrown in to very user friend software for the average joe (espcially in the States :roll:) to be able to control the tubes how you wanted.

But I do think that it'd be a very cool idea if it were possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:08 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

when i was in school and had more free time, I would have tried it myself already... i used to tap into things that were acccessible all the time... my whole room was linked when i was a kid, and i was able to controll all the lights, tv's, stereos via my pc (mostly IR) just a little to deep to get into with my 5 jobs and all... although i seem to have allot of free time at this job (my main job is programming) i can't say my boss would like me fussing with a little black box attached to company computers with classified info on it :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:13 pm 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

BumpNGlow \$m[1]:
Yah, the coding used for the current patterns is goig to be way over the average consumers head. It'd probably require a lot of money thrown in to very user friend software for the average joe (espcially in the States :roll:) to be able to control the tubes how you wanted.

But I do think that it'd be a very cool idea if it were possible.

i wouldn't imagine wrighting a GUI to controll ufo... that would be allot of work!
If nothing comes up, i'll give it a try in march, when i only have 1 job. i was thinking more allong the lines of what is aready in ufo... i forgot about serial input. then people who are highly knowledged can mess around with the program and post their personalized versions of it... sort of like the way people post programs for Winamp's visualizations...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:01 am 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

funnily enough I was actually thinking about the Winamp visualisation plug-in. That allows you to do a very similar thing and while its probably too much for the average Joe, its not that hard to get into.

A GUI would be great which wouldn't explain it all, but perhaps give parameters to tweek with presets that you could modify to make your own.

I used to do alot of that with Flash actionscripting.. takin existing freely available code and changing little bits to experiment. So you could always take the original patterns and tweek em!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 7:07 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

RichieP \$m[1]:
Another cool thing would be a way to have scrolling text down the side of your car..

I'm pondering getting one of those LED writer things that sit on your back parcel shelf and allow you to type in whichever message you want. A classy one of them would be pretty cool.. not sure how you'd get LED glow into it thou..

I've been looking into those displays, too. Funny thing, I got a catalog with one in it today. :lol:

http://www.gadgetalert.com/cgi-bin/sgin ... 2022013448

$m[1]

I'm not sure if I really want one, but this one looks pretty cool. I've seen others that have a remote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:31 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've already got one of these...Check out this link. Had it about 3 years and it's slightly "not-working" at the moment! I left it stored in a cupboard for way too long and totally forgot to take the batteries out the remote. They 'melted' and wrecked the remote :shock: Got someone looking into fixing it for me...Will post up if & when I get it sorted. It has a remote and is fully programmable :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2003 9:42 am 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

I saw that very same thing in the GadgetShop.. but it didn't have the car adapter. Thats the kind of thing I was looking for.

Imagine being able to put a UFO backlight behind the text thou. Thats the idea I had in my head.. not too sure how you'd go bout it lol.