Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:19 am

Post subject: Fully custom Iceled underglow kit
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:49 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Ok for those of u who know me on oznium, username over there is eric-s well neways lets get down to what I've been wanting and waiting for a while and still no product :(. I have been doing research on all kinds of kits to see which one is the most custom and the iceled is by far but I don't think I wanna spend $1000 on a product that I can't handle the way I would like so for all you programmers listen up to this iceled v2 idea. Keep all the features it already has but add on to it where you can edit exactly what you would like and be able to store it. For example here is a glow tube [ooo ooo ooo ooo ooo] and with the remote you could select one tube at a time as well as one section of leds on that tube [ooo] then u could fully custom the color for each section as well as create your own custom gradients. Also another idea if this can't be done, being able to have thousands of preloaded gradients and being able to select an individual tube and selecting which gradient you would like for which tube, don't know if this is any good idea but I think im gonna save my money til I find a kit with rainbow not just on the sides, but all the way around aswell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:28 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

All that can be done, no problems. But no one is going to pay the £3000ish per UFO Kit. Remember, ICELED is tiny. It's not some multinational supercompany. To build, test and set up the manufacturing would be astronomical. There simply aren't enough people wanting the kit to justify it's creation.

Demand and supply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Knight_Glow, welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your ideas. I have few thoughts I'd like to add in reply. The facility to set each pixel colour by hand does sound like an attractive idea. The problem is it soon becomes tedious as a way to create patterns that are anything other than trivial. Rather than try to explain why this is so (you really have to try it to find out!) I would simply say that UFO was deliberately designed to generate a variety of base effects (the 10 patterns) to which you can customise the palette, speed etc. to home-in on the effect you want - but without going through the mind-numbing exercise of setting the colour of each and every pixel for every moment in time.

Another advantage of this approach is that the patterns can go on indefinitely without repeating. This is because UFO's base pattern generator is algorithmic. All other comparable kits I know of simply store preset patterns (devised by programmers in the way you suggest) and once you've watched them a while, you know exactly what you're going to see next.

As UFO generates patterns "on the fly" yet another advantage is that the patterns are calculated to a much higher resolution than the LED pixel groups used to display them. This means that sweeps and fades can be much smoother. What's stored in the other kits is a pattern that maps directly to the LEDs available so the pattern steps can only be "robotic" (for want of another word).

One last thought - any user-interface that would permit the kind of programming you ask for would be rather unwieldy on a remote handset. It would only make sense as a desktop application - much like the kind that professional lighting designers use. This is all quite possible if course, but it further divides down the market audience from an extremely low starting point - and at the same time escalates the development and product costs. Hopefully as time goes on, and technology gets cheaper (fingers crossed!) the practicalities of such an approach will sort themselves out. In the mean-time I hope you can understand a little better why UFO is the way it is, and why it's the best you can get :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:29 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Thanks for the replies, im just gonna leave the ideas to u guys cuz yall know what yall are doin and doin it exceptionally well, im just waiting impatiently for my money to roll in so I can fullyglow my car w/ $2000 of ICE products, including UFO!