ICELED

Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:28 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:41 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Just cancelled the original order and placed a new one. Managed to source a 1m length of single 6mm core fibre cable. It gets delivered tomorrow so I'll be making a test model over weekend and hopefully have a demo video or pictures that I'll post on Monday

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:35 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

I think, even cooler than a shirt, if this works they way we think it might, is to have a headliner with an ICELED glow :!: :idea: Forget about hanging neon tubes, or cathodes.... just light up the entire ceiling!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:26 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Was thinking the same thing, or trimming sub enclosures etc. With regards to the roof lining you could have a similar arrangement to what is seen in some clubs over here, a fabric with pinpricks of various diameter end emmiting fibres to create a starfield effect. I think this would look pretty cool with phasing colours, all networked of course!
Im off to my local hydroponics shop today to buy some MYLAR. I think coating the inside of the light source container should reflect light everywhere giving the best chance of getting the most light into the cable. Im planning on doing a test model with and without it.
CANT WAIT TIL WEEKEND!

Last edited by Glow Worm on Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Coupling into fibre isn't easy - you need to match the acceptance angles exactly otherwise you're just throwing light away. GEM emits over 90 deg, whereas your fibre probably accepts only 5 to 10 degrees. In terms of area it's a long way short of matching.

Also, you need to couple all three primaries to get colour mixing. This will add to the challenge. It really needs a specially designed source.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:56 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Adrian. After looking round the sites I found different types of termination to be used on the fibres in order to get the optimum amount of light into the core. After looking at some of the specific light sources it seems that they just comprise of a high quality 150W halogen bulb & colour wheel. I know its not likely to produce amazing results without perfectly matched components but its always nice to experiment. I was thinking about maybe having some kind of diffusing baffle before the core entrance in order to mix the colour before propogation down the fibre

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:19 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Well here it is, the results of the experiment. The results were better than I thought they would be but further work is still needed.
It took around 20mins to build and comprises of a cable box, mylar reflective sheeting, rough gem, 1m length of cable. I have a gif file comprising of images produced in a 'storyboard' style, if the administrators would kindly allow me to upload this picture I would be very appreciative :wink: . I also have a Nokia 3gp video of the model for those who can play them. For either of these send me a PM leaving your email address, my email isn't working at the moment though, should be running by Monday. The pictures / video were taken on my Nokia 3650 phone hence the low quality.
There was no preperation time spent on the cable such as surface polishing which should be done! Neither were the cable ends optimally aligned, or terminated with specific terminations. The fibres were just sliced at one end and left to hang inside the reflective box. I reckon that with a bit of time and effort networked glow wire is possible. What do you guys think??
Here is a picture of a few shots stuck together.
$m[1]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:03 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

I see a lot of potential there :!: 8) I can't wait to see how it looks once you clean up everything! It will also be interesting to see how far you can get the light to travel down the fibre. If it only goes about a foot or 2, even when it's tuned right, it will have limited use. A 4 or 5 foot run would be great, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:12 am 
Rainbow User
Rainbow User

did you use a gem??

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 12:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't want to sound like I'm putitng a damper on your fine experimentation, but this isn't going to work properly until you match the source to the fibre.

To see what difference it makes I would get hold of a 6 degree LED (blue would be pretty!) and shine that down the fibre. Then compare that with lining up the fibre with just one of the GEM LED's. I think you'll see a big difference. Then you'lll start trying to figure out how to get three x 6 degree LED's all on-axis down the fibre!

There are some special optical manifolds that might help do this, but it is not as easy as it sounds. If you let me know the details of your fibre and where it came from I'll order an identical bit to see what I can do with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:23 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Cheers Adrian will see what I can can do over the coming weekends. I'll send you a PM with the fibre details later in the day, dont have the details to hand at the moment. Maybe someone with expert knowledge and decent equipment could make an excellent go of it. If it helps though it is single core 6mm diameter side emitting fibre, they did various diameters and multicore fibres along with some kind of 'netting' type fibre.
And Tom, it was a rough gem, thats the black box at the bottom of the container (held in by gaffa tape!).
Thanks very much to Phree for uploading the following gif for me.
$m[1]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:28 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

What about using tri colour led's ????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well I'm playing around with it but it's still got a long way to go:

$m[1]

and in the dark:
$m[1]

I've used the brightest integrated RGB device available to light the ends but it's still not good enough. Fibres like this are normally lit using a steaming great HID source - something like a 150 Watt, fan-cooled discharge lamp. But trust me, you don't want to have to use one of those.

The other problem is the cost, it works out cheaper to put down an LED every inch :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:23 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

We'll be patient........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:18 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

That's pretty cool. I smell another ICELED product coming soon.

Post subject: CoolFusion Fier Optic Projector
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:03 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Well folks it is now possuible to have the piping around your seats change colour.

Just connect some Side Glow Fiber Optics to the latest CoolFusion Projector, run it around your seats and you will have 2 .1 million colours!

http://www.litewave.co.uk/icelde_CoolFusion.asp

www.litewave.co.uk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next