ICELED

Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:14 pm

Post subject: Bluetooth Serial Communication Help (Non-ICELED)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:19 pm 

Hi guys been a long time. How are you all?

I'm trying to work on a little project at the moment but require some assistance with programming.

I am a keen powerballer and have just bought myself a bluetooth counter for it but the software they have written look a little poor if i'm honest so i wanted to go about making my own program with an F1 style rev counter to make it look a bit more interesting.

But the problem is that i am unable to locate any decent tutorial on how to enable me to communicate with a com port and read the data.

Has anyone had any prior experience with this sort of thing?

Links:
www.powerballs.com
www.powerballs.com/bluetooth

and if anyone is interested i am currently No. 548 on the mens scoreboards (division 5 score 13303)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm only familiar with using BT over virtual com ports which few proper commercial applications actually use. This amounts to nothing more than adding a mscomm control to a VB project - but I expect the powerball BT uses a different device profile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:02 am 

Thats what i have been looking at. AS the device connects it does use a virtual serial port but i'm having problems trying recive the data as the ball is spinning. once i can analyze the data i can then try to convert it into somthing meaningful but i can't even get to that stage at the mo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, if it communicates via a virtual serial port, you should be able to hack it! What stage have you gotten to? Do you know what port number to open? AFAIK all the usual RS232 parameters are ignored when opening a virtual comm port provided by BT so all you need do is open the correct port number and read anything coming into the input buffer. Bear in mind that they may have created a two-way protocol for the link in which case it may be waiting to receive a command to make it respond with the count.

You might need to use a software "comm port sniffer" to monitor the two-way traffic while the supplied application is running to examine this protocol. I think there are a few of these about for evaluation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:06 am 

I have made a bit of progress (alot easier than i initially thought)

Script for Visual Basic 2008

Requirements:
Form
Button
Text Box
SerialPort1 with port specified in properties

Header:
Imports System.IO.Ports

On form load:
SerialPort1.Open()

On form exit:
SerialPort1.Close()

On button press:
TextBox1.Text = SerialPort1.ReadExisting()

As simple as this is it dows work and i do recieve data from the port but it is unusable. But one of the admins is going to give me the source code for the software so that i can try and further develop it. so thats all the hard work taken care of really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:51 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Hi MadJon,

Did you get any further with this? Who did you get the source code from?

I just got a Bluetooth counter for my Powerball and I'm hoping to write some software for it, for my Mac (probably in Java, so it's cross-platform).

Cheers,
Rikki