Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:26 pm

Post subject: Spotify
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

OK, so I'm pretty slow on the uptake - I've only just latched on to Spotify :roll: Now I have to re-think my entire approach to music :shock:

I am actually finding it slightly difficult (painful?) adjusting after many years of "collecting" music. I only recently started digitising my CD collection onto a Network Storage device - so I could search for and access the library using things like Windows Media and other music playing clients. But as I put more and more albums on the server, the clients all started to show the strain in various ways...

...and this is possibly the greatest thing about Spotify - it's a lightweight program that just needs a little bit of bandwidth to search and stream from what people have dubbed a "celestial jukebox". This is the first time the concept of "Cloud Computing" has really hit home for me.

I used to listen to Pandora before it was axed in the UK, and I have flirted with other internet radio stations - but nothing compares to having millions of tracks as whole albums instantly available on demand. I feel a bit stupid having put the effort into digitising my collection given that its pretty much already done and dusted - plus Spotify provides a far more comprehensive inventory of additional mixes and tracks on EP's etc. that I never discovered before.

The company has also released the API to encourage development on the widest number of different platforms possible. This inevitably means there will be 3G clients running on portable music players - consigning 16Gb ipods to history? :-k

I wonder if anyone else is finding it a little difficult making the mental detour away from keeping a personal collection of music to being able to dip into just about anything ever recorded?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:22 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

My brother in law recently mentioned Spotify. I've just got back from a week in Scotland visiting him and after seeing him, I will definitely be using it! Very, very good :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hope your trip went well Phree!

Every now and then a so called disruptive technology or business innovation comes along that empowers people in new ways. This switch from private ownership of music to play-on-demand is going to make a big difference to my listening habits.

I think you'll be surprised at just how many albums are available. Naturally Spotify's aim is to get all record labels on-board eventually. The free service gives all the access enjoyed by the paid-for premium service but includes short advert breaks every so often. I find it breaks about once per album on average.

However, for £100 you can have premium service for 1 year. I'm in two minds about this as £100 on top of Sky, telephone, magazine subs. etc. is another big hit. On the other hand, you could quite easily save this by not buying CD's!

Many people (including me) seem to find the adverts "go away" after a while - they're still there but you sort of adapt at blotting them out. But I expect their frequency will have to rise if they don't result in enough revenue.

Mind you Phree, one album they don't have on there yet is "Invaders Must Die" :wink: