Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:26 am

Post subject: UFO help
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:47 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Hi guys been registered ages but have never posted on here.

I have couple of problems with my UFO kit, the scanner is linked to the UFO controller. Was working perfectly until the other week. The scanner comes on with the kit and scans few times and turns itself off.

The other problem i have is to do with the UFO controller itself. Is there any way in which i can reset the UFO controller itself. The colours are working but some how i have edited the colour pallete. I have the newer style universal remote control and to me, its not that user friendly. I prefer the older remote control for the UFO kit.

While im posting any one know what i have done to the settings, program 1 used to be set on the universal still colours. Now program 1 gently scrolls through the universal colour pallete.

Will try and get some pics to try and explain it better, but i always find it hard trying to get good quality photos with these lights.

Thanks

Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hi Dean, how do you have the scanner connected - where does each of the three wires go?

The defaults are not restorable - every bit of code space was used up for pattern creation! But really the palettes are quite easily edited, and if you can't be bothered or only want standard colours you can always select Unlimited colours.

Pattern 1 now responds to the speed control, so just nudge the ramp all the way down and it will stop the pattern scrolling.

I would have thought that direct access to individual patterns and colour ranges etc. with dedicated buttons was worth having, but if you're only after on/off and pattern up/down there may be another cut-down remote that would give you these functions - I'll have a look round for you :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:11 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Hi Adrian, it has been very long time since i installed the UFO kit, nearly a year now. If i can remember correctly. The scanner is linked to the front tube wiring and the blue data wire is connected to the " i " port.

I havent seen the manual for these lights in a very long time and cannot remember all the modes for the pallete editing. From what i can remember there is P, C, and few other letters that have appeared when i have been messing around with the lights and colours. Am not sure what this is referring to but i think i managed to get them all back to unlimited colours.

Thanks for answering my other question on pattern 1, will try the light speed control tonight and see if it will freeze it on still colours again. Although i do like the colours scrolling the way they do.

It has been so nice owning this UFO kit, this kit shows every other car with under car lighting up around my area. In the southeast i think the only people that have this kit is me and my good friend who told me about this kit dave64 with the rave bus.

I have been thinking about internal lighting for the car. I cant remember whats out there for the inside. Is it the trons people use for the foot wells of the car. At the moment i just have the bog standard blue foot well lights but want another part of this kit for inside. I already have the gem for the interior light.

Thanks

Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you try connecting the red wire of the scanner directly to 12V rather than to the red wire of the front tube? The latter switches on and off with the UFO remote and it may be that the scanner is missing out on some commands sent out of the I terminal. Even if its only a temporary bodge to the battery it migth rule things in or out. The ideal connection for the scanner is a permanent +12V.

TRONs are ideal for footwells and you can connect their data wires to the I terminal so they follow UFO pattern colours. One foot tubes produce twice the light and you have the option to connect them to the UFO channels for a little bit of action inside as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:56 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Me and dave64 had a brief look at the wiring tonight, will be looking more into it tomorrow. We are going to first of all check all the connections properly and even take it out of my car and connect it to his UFO kit to see if there is a fault with the scanner or it is just my wiring. This does seem weird because it has been working perfectly fine up until recently, none of the wiring has been touched since it was installed back in january. The kit isnt even a year old yet. Are the scanners known to play up? Will also try what you said and connect to 12v supply instead of front tubes. I avoided doing this before as when i done this i could not turn the scanner off, the UFO kit would turn off but the 12v supply would keep scanner on permenantly.

Thanks for your help.

Dean

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If the scanner has a good connection to the "I" terminal it will switch on and off along with the UFO tubes - you say yours didn't when you had the scanner permanently powered - this may be a clue as to where to start your checks. Let us know how you get on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:12 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Adrian \$m[1]:
If the scanner has a good connection to the "I" terminal it will switch on and off along with the UFO tubes - you say yours didn't when you had the scanner permanently powered - this may be a clue as to where to start your checks. Let us know how you get on!

Just a little update, finally got round to connecting the scanner to daves car tonight. The scanner worked and picked up the different programs, however on road legal mode the scanner picked up static red instead of white. We connected the blue wire to the "I" terminal, the red to positive power and green to ground. Has taken us a while to try it out due to weather but will try connecting the scanner back to my car during the week and see what happens.

If the scanner does not work correctly on my UFO kit, dave has a spare UFO controller that we will try out and see if that makes any difference. Another issue that has arised, my universal controller is not responding to the speed control or the sound activation. I have changed the battery thinking this might solve the problem and still no joy. But when i use daves older UFO controller, the sound activation and speed control work. I really dont know what is going on with the UFO kit, only limited functions seem to work. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

deano1988, I'm beginning to wonder if your UFO controller has the right version of the firmware to go with the 31-button remote... The UFO kits supplied with the new remote should be version 6 - to check this, look at the remote display when plugging in the 2-way power connector: U 6 should briefly show on the display. When and where did you get your UFO kit from and was this the remote that came with?

As a seperate issue, your scanner has been put into "rear facing" mode for streetwise pattern. Page 6 of the scanner manual describes how to switch between white and red...

\$m[1]:
Changing the streetwise colour
To change the streetwise colour from white to red requires the use of the UFO
handset: With UFO switched on and with pattern 0 (streetwise) selected press the
audio button in order to turn on the red dot on the remote display (if it is already
on press the audio button to switch it off, then press again to switch it back on).
Then, within two seconds turn off UFO (and the scanner) using the power key.
This will program the scanner to show red from now on. To change back to white
follow the same procedure as above but aim to turn the red dot off before
pressing the power key.

This has to be done with UFO connected to the scanner of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:28 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

I will check on the firmware version later tonight. The speed control and the sound activation did work not so long ago. Then when this problem arised with the scanner not responding to the rest of the UFO kit, this is when i noticed the speed control and sound activation did not work. Just seems like my universal controller only uses limited functions. As i say i used daves older 6 or 7 button controller and it worked fine but the scanner problem was still there.

Could it be a problem with the main UFO unit, the main control box itself. I did buy this UFO kit back in january from the iceled/litewave website and the other question yes my 31 button remote did come with my UFO kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:07 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

I can now confirm my firmware is U6, i have plugged my scanner into my UFO control box and as before my scanner stayed on permanently even when the power button was pressed. It did eventually turn off and on with the UFO control box and the scanner did pick up the programs but then dropped out and would not operate at all. I have checked all connections and they were all firmly pressed into the control box. It seems i am going round in circles with this, will be taking the car round to dave again in a minute to see if he has any luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:18 pm 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Have had no luck with the scanner, im starting to think it is more to do with the UFO control box rather than my scanner. I have connected the scanner to positive and negative and the "I" terminal and the scanner was still not responding, i also took the power from the front and side tubes and again was not responding. The scanner powers up from the constant 12v power but the goes on its own, as soon as the UFO is powered up it still carries on doing its own thing, it will not change to the different patterns and the speed control and sound activation are still not working. Would i be able to return the UFO control box if i still have no luck as its still under warranty as its not even a year old yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sure you can return it under warrant, but I'll carry on with the diagnostics just in case we can get a more immediate solution....

OK, so the UFO is version 6, and the scanner (apart from being set to "rear facing" mode) is fine on another UFO - which would seem to narrow it down to the "I" terminal connection not getting any data to the scanner.

One distraction while you're trying to check the "I" terminal is the built-in standalone program of the scanner - instead, I suggest you temporarily (and exclusively) connect your front tube blue wire to the "I" terminal (leaving the red and green wires where they are). The data coming out of the "I" terminal will then command the front tube to light along its full length in the global pattern colour. If the tube remains dark then there's definitely a problem with the controller. It's difficult to explain just how unlikely this is, so I strongly recommend you try this last test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:46 am 
1 Colour User
1 Colour User

Have tried linking the data wire of the front tube to the "I" port on my UFO control box. The front tube displayed either static red or amber it was hard to tell due to the ground being saturated as it had been raining. Dave got his spare UFO control box out and we plugged my tubes and scanner into the spare box and all worked perfectly. The scanner picked up the data and followed all the programs. However once again when the control box was turned off and turned back on again the scanner did not come back on with the UFO kit. It took a few attempts turning it off and back on for the scanner to come back on again. But then the same soon happened when the spare control box was turned off the scanner would not turn on again. Also again my remote control would not active the sound control and the speed control.

Could this be a multiple of faults, my control box as well as the scanner. Think it would be best to send my control box, scanner and 31 button remote control back to you to have a look at, if you wouldnt mind. Please let me know what you think is best.

Many thanks for all your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

deano1988 \$m[1]:
Have tried linking the data wire of the front tube to the "I" port on my UFO control box. The front tube displayed either static red or amber it was hard to tell due to the ground being saturated as it had been raining.

OK good, this confirms that the UFO controller is sending out "I" data exactly as it should. This means the scanner isn't responding for another reason, but from what you say next it would appear that the scanner is OK as well...

deano1988 \$m[1]:
Dave got his spare UFO control box out and we plugged my tubes and scanner into the spare box and all worked perfectly. The scanner picked up the data and followed all the programs. However once again when the control box was turned off and turned back on again the scanner did not come back on with the UFO kit.

...This really does make it look as though you wired the scanner +12V (red wire) to a tube channel red. As I explained earlier this isn't how the scanner should be connected as it is liable to miss the UFO commands when the internal relay cuts power to the channels - and may leave the scanner a bit confused! I just tried this myself and it behaved exactly as you describe. Some of this confusion may even be what caused your scanner to go into "rear facing" mode and show red on streetwise (have you sorted that out yet?)

Just to double check - earlier you mentioned that you had the scanner linked to your front tube wiring. Whenever you connect the scanner to UFO you must run the scanner from a permanent +12V supply or at least from the same 12V feed that goes into your UFO as is shown on page 4 of the scanner manual:

$m[1]

deano1988 \$m[1]:
Also again my remote control would not active the sound control and the speed control.

Could this be a multiple of faults, my control box as well as the scanner. Think it would be best to send my control box, scanner and 31 button remote control back to you to have a look at, if you wouldnt mind. Please let me know what you think is best.

Being completely objective about it I have to say that I am not yet convinced that anything's actually faulty other than the wiring - even though this may not be the case. Just in case we can resolve this "in situ", if you don't mind, I suggest we carry on as we are for now.

You're probably right about there being more than one thing wrong though, the remote control is almost certainly a separate issue. For now however, I need you to confirm that your scanner is wired to a permanent +12V and ground, and its blue wire goes to the "I" terminal as shown above - and then describe again what happens: does it switch on and off with the UFO remote? Does it change pattern and colour along with UFO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I just read through all the posts again and this earlier comment drew my attention:

deano1988 \$m[1]:
Will also try what you said and connect to 12v supply instead of front tubes. I avoided doing this before as when i done this i could not turn the scanner off, the UFO kit would turn off but the 12v supply would keep scanner on permenantly.

That's odd because the scanner should have been obeying the "switch off" command that UFO sends it - it kind of suggests that you've always had a problem with the scanner not receiving commands properly. Yet we know the UFO sends commands out of the "I" terminal as it was driving your front tube OK!

And your scanner was OK (for a bit?) when connected to Dave's UFO. Might its cable be damaged perhaps? It sounds like an intermittent connection problem.