Welcome to the ICELED Forums!
FAQ :: Search :: Members :: Groups :: Register
Login
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:51 am

Post subject: Flexible Scanner Tube
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:10 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

My wish is to have a flexible scanner tube to firstly get rid of the wheel well kit and replace with 4 scanner tubes. :D yes i know first thought $$$$. But i would consider hoeing my self out for the cash "any ladies interested???" this is also kinda a must if you are going to light the entire wheel well because of the way the scanner works with each led being able to display entire range of color cause trust me when i installed my ice kit in the rear of my car i had to install it above the pipes and when the pattern hits the edges you see flashes of Red Green or Blue no matter what pattern. My second reason is that there are already multicolor flextube under car kits that are all flex tube so why not blow them out of the water with ice. Third how nice would it be to flex a scanner around any thing??? speakers, trunks, fan housings, ect.

[-X one more thing would it be possible to strech a pattern across 2 or more scanner.

thanks for reading the novel by Nick and if would would like your oown copy please don't be scared to print it out for you private collection.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:45 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

I like the idea of the flexible tubes. Would fill up alot of places on my car as most lightable areas are curved

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:31 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

Hey Nickattac. Sounds like you're having some cool ideas over there. I myself would also like to think that anything is possible (in the future). But like you said yourself : $$$$$$$.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:12 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

I think that the main issue with getting something that will bend is that 1 you loose the strength that the polycarbonate has and 2 the cost of the PCB is astronomical to get soemthing that is flexable and reliable

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The problem is that the flexible products that are on the market already don't have any electronics on them. While it might be possible to get some bend into a special flexi-panel it would invite people to take it too far and break it. ICELED are constantly looking at the possibilities though so it's good to know what you're after!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:15 pm 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

the set that i have seen can flex into a loop as small as 5 to 6 inch diameter. so i know thats not a right angle but it is pretty tight and if we exsplain that is as far as i can go then breaks will be on the customer so that will cover Ice's daryair. even thought i hate to have to say that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:23 am 
3 Colour User
3 Colour User

Location: Real home; Basingstoke Spirital home; Highbury, North London
Got to say my FLOODS at top of arch light the whole wheel arch completely. they also do everything the UFO kit does ( except scan of course )

New Photo's Added ( contains topless shots)18+
http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/3108542

Dont mess with me i'm roofless
PT Cruiser
2.4GT Turbo Cabriolet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good point Shep. I keep forgetting that most people are used to the cheaper sorts of LEDs favoured by other manufacturers. It goes like this:

An LED die (the semiconductor part that emits the light) is packaged in an optical housing that focuses the light. By focussing the light in a narrower beam the brightness goes up. To get a wider beam having the same 'spot intensity' (i.e. measuring the intensity of a small part of the beam) means having a more powerful (expensive) semiconductor emitter behind a less focused lens.

This is the sort of LED used in GEM and FLOOD but sad to say these devices are generally avoided by other manufacturers whose products are sold on the merits of their peak beam intensities alone. This leaves the customer struggling to aim the light in the right place.

The common units of intensity measurement don't help either, "mcd" (milli candelas) are a spot measurement, so if a particular LED focusses most of its light in the measurement zone it gets a high rating. But an LED many times more powerful that spreads it's light energy over a much wider area might get the same or even lesser mcd rating.

This is why "Lumens" are a better measurement unit. A Lumens rating represents the total flux produced by the semiconductor and hence reflects the value of the device. Mcd ratings have no real bearing on the value of an LED.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:18 am 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Ok Mr Adrian... what kind of education do you have?! Everytime you get into tech talk i get astonished at your vocab and knowledge :shock: .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ha! I can't remember much about my education - apart from a persistent feeling that I should have been somewhere else doing something different :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:11 pm 
2 Colour User
2 Colour User

Ha! I get that feeling alot too. I would also like to see some flexi tubes. But first things first, Get that Blue Tooth to the us. BTW our car club stickers are being made today *Rides On Ice* :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:41 am 
4 Colour User
4 Colour User

glad to see some life brought back to my thread. But my initial point was that a single light source like a flood or gem couldn't light my wheel wells because of 3 reasons. one, the area doesn't allow for enough beam spread to light wheel we effectively. two, the wheel well is black, black absorbs more than reflects their by killing beam reflection. third, price i could probally light my wheel wells nicely with 2 or 3 gems, this would require mounting 2 gems at the bottom on either side of the wells beaming up and 1 beaming down at the top but based on light spread the 2 at the bottom might make enough light. Plus wiring 2 gems per wheel well would be a mess and would have to have the programming of the wheel well kit to pattern effectively with UFO.
So thats why i wasn't really scared of the price of a flex scanner tube. plus it would be cool to do some scan paterns in the wheel wells. and you have half the wires to have to tuck and hide. because if i add very many more wires i might as well set up electrical conduit in my car.

P.S. Adrian dont quit with the tech jargen im a nerd and its always kinda nice to flex the old noodle every once and a while.